South Africans had managed to save up to 7 percent in electricity demand last month, says Eskom's Chief Executive Officer, Jacob Maroga.
Mr Maroga made the announcement on Monday when briefing President Thabo Mbeki and a Presidential Special Joint Working group on the current state of electricity supply in the country.
"Progress has been registered in electricity savings. In this regard, the meeting was informed that load shedding has been suspended on the basis of progress towards meeting the 10 percent savings target and reviewing the most effective approach in achieving sustained savings," the Presidency said in a statement after the meeting.
The meeting urged the public to accelerate electricity savings in order to avert resumption in load shedding as the current savings, though welcome, are below the 10 percent target, the statement reads.
In this light it was agreed that an Advisory Council chaired by the President will soon be formed to provide implementation of the National Electricity Response Plan.
Members of the Council will be leaders from labour, business, government and civil society, the statement said.
Mr Maroga further briefed the group that the previously mothballed Camden, Grootvlei and Komati power stations are being upgraded and returned to use.
"The Deputy President, Phumlile Mlabo-Ngcuka presented government's proposals on the role and functions of Energy Champions as announced in the State of the Nation Address earlier this year."
Their role will include tasks, popularising measures aimed at reducing consumption and encouraging all consumers to use alternative energy sources such as solar powered geysers, gas stoves and other appliances.
These will in turn, the Presidency said, help government and society to find ways of minimising costs to society in terms of employment, investments, exports and communicating the necessary and appropriate messages to society. - BuaNews