The City is aware that, in certain circumstances, the recent re-valuation of properties has resulted in property owners receiving rates accounts that are higher than those previously received.
It should be noted that the general valuation, which has been implemented throughout the city, was based on the market values of properties and it is an established fact that, in certain areas of the city, market values have escalated considerably more than in other areas.
In cases where the increase in rates has caused financial hardship to property owners because of their financial constraints the City will endeavour to assist them as follows:
- where an objection to the valuation has been lodged and the owner is experiencing difficulty in paying the increased rates amount prior to the objection being resolved, the City will assist by allowing the payment of a lower rates amount (depending the outcome of a financial assessment) until the objection is resolved.
- where no objection to the valuation has been lodged and the owner is experiencing difficulty in paying the increased rates amount, the City encourages such owners to visit any of City Finances' contact centres (as shown on the list below) in order to obtain assistance by way of an informal arrangement until the end of the current financial year i.e. 30 June 2008.
Property owners who are experiencing hardship and who wish to make use of the above assistance offered by the City are encouraged to visit the contact centres and to bring with them the following documentation:
- proof of total household income i.e. pay slips of all who reside on the property as well as proof of rental income;
- if there are no pay slips, affidavits to this effect must be provided;
- copies of identity documents (certified);
- bank statements from the last three months.
These are temporary arrangements to allow property owners time to make the necessary financial adjustments resulting from the increased valuations.
Attached is a list of contact centres where arrangements can be made:
|Cape Town Civic||Ernest Plaatjies||0214003522|
Fezeka Ernest Plaatjies
|Bellville Civic||Deon van Zyl||0219182203|
|Milnerton Pienaar Road||Freddie Carstens||0215502621|
|Brackenfell Civic||Sunelle Paxton||0219801361|
|Khayelitsha - Stocks and Stocks Building||Shaheed Christiaans||0213601146|
|Durbanville Civic|| Agnes van Eck||0219703085|
In the case where you cannot get hold of one of the above senior staff you can phone Monica Kibido on 021 400 3695 or Jan van Rooyen on 021 900 1598.
31 JULY 2007
CITY OF CAPE TOWN
TEL: 021 400 2201
MANAGER: DEBT MANAGEMENT
PHONE: 021 400 3575
CELL 084 433 5727